Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor 'set to announce Las Vegas superfight'
Tensions between boxing's pound-for-pound king and the UFC's most-marketable star have risen considerably in the last 12 months.
Floyd Mayweather is reportedly set for a sensational return to the ring - against Conor McGregor.
Mayweather, 39, is on the verge of agreeing a deal which will see him step out of retirement and into the richest fight in boxing history against UFC upstart McGregor.
Mayweather, who calls himself The Best Ever, was widely-recognized as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world before walking away from the sport last September.
And according to the Sun, he is now set to earn $144 million for a Las Vegas mega-match with McGregor, known as Notorious, with just the purse agreement and paperwork to be signed before an announcement in the coming weeks.
A source reportedly revealed: “Floyd went mad after Conor said he would crush him and knock him out in 30 seconds, he’s obsessed with making Conor eat his words.
“Floyd is calling the shots. It’s strictly boxing and Conor will have to lose roughly 25lbs.
“It was agreed in principle on May 2, but Floyd wouldn’t reveal the identity of his opponent until last night when he told friends he’ll be fighting Conor.”
Rivalry: McGregor has got under the skin of Mayweather in recent months
McGregor has become a box office hit across the Atlantic in the past 18 months, but is currently at loggerheads with UFC chief Dana White, and has been left out of UFC 200 next month.
The Irishman, 27, is said to be set to earn £7million for his part, just months after seeing his undefeated UFC run come to an end at the hands of Nate Diaz in March.
McGregor previously challenged Mayweather after a war of words between the pair turned ugly, claiming a showdown between the duo would be a 'billion-dollar fight'.
Mayweather had grown frustrated that McGregor's trash-talking often went without question, and told Fight Hype: “They say he talks a lot of trash and people praise him for it, but when I did it, they say I’m cocky and arrogant.
“So biased. Like I said before, all I’m saying is this: I ain’t racist at all, but I’m telling you racism still exists.”
Fiery: McGregor heavily disputed Mayweather's claims over race
McGregor hit back on Instagram, declaring: "Floyd Mayweather, don't ever bring race into my success again.
"I am an Irishman. My people have been oppressed our entire existence. And still very much are. I understand the feeling of prejudice. It is a feeling that is deep in my blood.
"In my family's long history of warfare there was a time where just having the name 'McGregor' was punishable by death."
On a proposed fight he said: "I will give you a fair 80/20 split purse in my favour seen as your last fight bombed at every area of revenue."
"At 27 years of age I now hold the key to this game. The game answers to me now."
49-0: Mayweather ended his career with victory over Andre Berto in September
Mayweather bowed out of the fight game last year, following his victory over Andre Berto in September.
That took 'Money' to 49-0, the same record as former heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano.
But five-weight world champion Mayweather, who has amassed over $550million during his illustrious career, has recently teased a potential comeback.
And this month he filed for 'TMT 50' and 'TBE 50' to be registered, leading to suggestions that Mayweather's organisation - The Money Team - are looking to cash in on a return to the ring, via their fashion label. Records posted on the U.S Patent & Trademark website confirm the filings.
The potential bout is likely to break the record for most lucrative fight ever - which involved Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in March 2015 - and could be held at the new T-Mobile Arena.