Australia - It started as a schoolyard spat and ended with Finks motorcycle gang member Shane Conci attacking the parents of a 12-year-old girl who went to school with his children, a court has heard today. See your ad here
In a prosecution summary tendered to the Supreme Court, police claimed Mr Conci's daughter, 12, and son, 14, had been involved in on-going issues with the 12-year-old girl at a secondary school in Melbourne's north-west between May 29 and June 5.
On June 5, the situation escalated when the 12-year-old girl made some comments to Mr Conci's daughter.
At 3.15pm, Mr Conci's son followed the 12-year-old girl as she walked from school and yelled abuse at her.
The girl's mother, who had been waiting for her in the car, told Mr Conci's son to stop abusing her daughter and move on.
At 9am the next day, police claim Mr Conci contacted the school principal and mentioned he was a member of the Finks motorcycle gang and that if the 12-year-old girl's family continued to hassle his children, "he would get their address, go there and rip the family to shreds".
Mr Conci allegedly warned the principal he would get 15 of his bikie mates to go there and deal with the family.
"He [Mr Conci] stated that no one threatens his family," the prosecution summary said.
At 5.15pm, Mr Conci drove with his entire family, including his wife, two sons, aged 14 and 19, and his daughter, 12, to the home of the 12-year-old girl's family and knocked on the front door.
Mr Conci and his eldest son then allegedly forced their way into the house and repeatedly punched the 12-year-old girl's father in the head, knocking him unconscious.
After Mr Conci's eldest son had also allegedly hit the girl's father with a baseball bat, Mr Conci's younger son allegedly kicked the unconscious man.
When the 12-year-old girl's mother went to help her injured husband she was allegedly hit with the baseball bat.
The alleged attack only stopped when Mr Conci yelled out "Enough".
The victims' two children had been hiding in a rear bedroom during the alleged attack before calling police.
Mr Conci, 38, appeared in the Supreme Court on Tuesday to apply for bail after being charged with intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing serious injury, intentionally causing injury, recklessly causing injury, two counts of assault and aggravated burglary.
Crown prosecutor Peter Rose, SC, said the attack on the 12-year-old girl's parents had been "a terrifying experience" for the victims.
Mr Rose said it was extraordinary that something like this had happened because of a schoolyard dispute.
Defence barrister Theo Kassimatis said Mr Conci had worked as a spray painter for more than 10 years and his family would be unable to maintain the mortgage repayments on their new home if Mr Conci was refused bail. See your ad here
"Yes, he's a member of the Finks motorcycle club," Mr Kassimatis. "He is essentially a family man who happens to like motorcycles."
Detective Senior Constable Matthew McKenzie said it was well known that Finks motorcycle gang members used fear and intimidation to have victims withdraw complaints and Mr Conci was an unacceptable risk of committing further offences and interfering with witnesses if released.
Justice Terry Forrest agreed and refused Mr Conci bail. He said Mr Conci's 19-year-old son was also expected to be charged over the alleged attack.
Mr Conci was remanded to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on August 30 for a committal mention.