Benefits of elderberries, plus a recipe
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 by: Alexandra Du Toit, TRUE Earth Mama
Tags: elderberries, immune system, disease prevention
Elderberries, also known as Sambucus, have been used in natural medicine for decades. These small, dark berries grow on the Elder Tree and have been known to have incredible benefits throughout the body.
Known benefits of elderberries
1. Immune system booster: Elderberries provide a boost to the immune system and are extremely high in vitamin C.
2. High in antioxidants: They help fight free radicals in the body. Lower levels of free radicals are associated with lower rates of stroke and heart disease.
3. Energy Levels: Improves energy levels as ingesting elderberries leads to good overall circulation.
4. Digestive health and weight loss: Elderberries are high in fiber and have a low calorie count.
5. Eye health: The abundance of antioxidants helps prevent eye disease.
6. Prevents infections: Prevents infections, bacteria and viruses from connecting to cells in the body.
7. Anti-inflammatory: Found to prevent inflammation in the body. Inflammation can lead to arthritis, Alzheimer's, and dementia and other diseases.
8. Anti-aging ~ The high levels of antioxidants help reduce the effects of aging.
Recipe for Immune Boost Tonic:
2/3 cup dried elderberries
4 cups water
2 tea bag of Rooibos tea
1 tsp of Cinnamon
2 T fresh or dried Ginger
1/2 tsp of Cloves
1/2 cup raw Honey
1. Pour water into saucepan and add all ingredients except for honey
2. Bring to Boil, Cover and Simmer for 45 minutes
3. Remove from heat, let cool
4. Pour through a strainer
5. When completely cool, add honey and mix completely
6. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator
Take daily for immune support:
1 tsp. for children
1 T. for adults
If flu comes on:
Take suggested dose every 2-3 hours until symptoms disappear
Sources for this article include
About the author:
Alex is a TRUE Earth Mama, helping others tune into their most natural state while bringing harmony and balance into all areas of their lives in order to THRIVE.
Please check out Alex's Blog!
and facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/TrueEarthMama
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/040948_elderberries_immune_system_disease_prevention.html#ixzz2XLxEp6fE